Will try and take a pic next time I make it ... I actually think meat would detract from this yum dish ... its easy to make and delicious. I served some at lunch this week and got rave reviews.
Savoury Bread and butter pudding:
- 1 loaf of slightly stale bread, sliced and trimmed into triangles
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 75ml double cream
- 75ml milk
- I used a couple of roughly chopped oven roasted tomatoes from our soup prep so they had a bit of balsamic and olive oil too plus one finely chopped chilli, some Tabasco, softened onions and seasoning ... but try your own combinations
- Gruyere and Parmesan cheese
- Butter bread slices roughly
- Whisk egg mix with tomatoes and other savoury flavourings
- Add a small handful of parmesan style cheese and mix in (use vege one if making vege dish, I use Old Winchester)
- Dip each slice of bread in the mix and arrange in baking dish so they are all standing up, I use each side of the triangle in turn to make a nice pattern
- When dish is full but not too packed pour over the rest of the mix till nearly covering the bread
- Sprinkle with cheeses
- Bake dish in an oven tray 1/2 full of water (bain marie) at 160C for about 40min, check if set and keep checking every 5 min till it has.
- Remove from oven carefully (hot water in tray !) and leave to set for 20 min
- Place under grill to brown off top for a couple of minutes
Slice and serve ... enjoy !